Saturday, December 19, 2009

Nine

I picked the date specifically. A Friday. The last night of Hanukkah.

I planned well in advance. I sent the original email some time in early November. Because the holidays can be busy.

The RSVPs came in. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 30. In my wee little house. People were either going to be lying in my bed or standing in the basement.

And then Mother Nature decided to fuck me.

Snow. Sleet. Wintery Mix. All effing day without letting up.

Slowly the calls and the texts and the emails came.

"I can't make it."

"Sorry - snowed in."

"My driveway is iced over."

Fuck.

Don't get me wrong. I get it. I didn't want my friends and loved ones out on the road in treacherous conditions. And even if they knew what they were doing, there was a good chance that 99% of the other fucksticks on the road didn't.

Still.

I had planned.

I had prepped.

I had stayed up til 1am baking 20 dozen Christmas cookies.

I had bought a pretty dress.

Fuck you Mother Nature. Fuck You.

In the end - 9 Exceptionally Intrepid Souls braved the elements to help me celebrate:

The Angel: we call her that because OMG she's like my own personal angel here on Earth
The Paper Guy: who drove in from High Point - granted - he started at 1 but still!
Lilsaej: where would I be without T1? Or is it T2?
Bobo: who drove T1 so Thank You!
The Kaiser: who got in a wreck en route and STILL showed!
Sumo: Natch - cuz nothing scares those West Lincoln boys.
Sumo's Brother: More hearty West Lincoln stock.
The Banker: who drove in from CHARLOTTE!!!
The Realtor: who rode with the Banker!

And so 10 of us celebrated. 10 of us ate enough food for 30. We possibly also drank enough for 30 - I wasn't exactly counting because it was my house and I didn't have to go anywhere.

And at the end of the day - it was fun. Because that's how we roll Chez Rougie. And even though Mother Nature decided to kick me in the ass, I kicked her right back. Suck it Mother Nature. Suck it.



PS I love my friends. Fiercely.

2 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I would have come!!!

We're snowed in today and I fear i will gain 40 pounds from all the cooking and baking I'm doing just to keep myself and my kids entertained.

kyooty said...

I'm glad that everyone arrived safely!