Thursday, October 29, 2009

Feed Me Fridays: The Experimental Pie Edition Part I (And I Know It's Not Friday. But It Is Experimental, So Just Roll With It Yo. Ok?)

I am going to blame my brother for this y'all. My awesome older brother whom I totally love and adore and who fathered my darling little nephew whom I also totally love and adore. Anyways, it's all HIS fault that my kitchen turned into Dr. Frankensugar's Lab this past weekend which maybe isn't such a bad thing - I don't know.

So I was up in NYC a few weeks ago for the Jewish holidays and we did Rosh Hashana at my brother and sister-in-law's and for dessert my brother ordered crack from Momofuko Milk Bar. Seriously y'all - crack - only they call it Crack Pie and they call it that with reason because OMG y'all...I would seriously consider selling everything I own and whoring myself out to Mr. Land O' Lakes to eat this on a daily basis. It's that fucking amazing.

Anyways, I was in a cab with mom and she mentioned that when she picked up the Crack Pie (which more on that tomorrow) they also had a Candy Bar Pie which looked incredible and she almost bought it but didn't because in addition to the Crack Pie there were crazy, yummy Momofuko cookies not to mention a more traditional pie (apple) from Little Red Hen. But that got me thinking. Candy Bar Pie. And it being Halloween and all and there being lots of candy around...well, thus the idea for Halloween Pie was born.


Here's what I started with:



And I confess, the idea for the pretzel crust was totally poached from this recipe that was in an issue of Food and Wine earlier this year. (BTW - totally make the actual tart recipe as it is published - it is FAN-FLIPPING-TASTIC). And I thought about trying to change 1 or 2 things but the crust was pretty rocking so follow the crust part of the recipe in Food and Wine. It should look something like this:



And be warned - it's a very sticky dough which is why you need to keep it in the plastic wrap and definitely let it chill for at least 30 minutes. Only - once you roll it out instead of plunking it into a tart pan, plunk it into a 9-inch pie plate. You'll probably have excess dough which is fine. Anyways follow the baking instructions and in theory your crust should come out ok. Mine did not. Mine got overcooked and I will chalk that up to THE SCHIZOPHRENIC OVEN FROM HELL and the end result of an overcooked pie crust is that it takes a chisel and a jackhammer to loose that shit from the pie plate. Sigh...


So yeah. Don't overcook your crust. Or maybe stick with the tart pan. Or scratch the whole pretzel crust and just buy a pre-made crust - I am thinking a cookie crust.

Anyways. While your crust is baking, make the peanut butter-white chocolate stuff. And yes, I am calling it stuff because it's not really cream and it's not really glaze and it's not really mousse it's just a random layer I decided to add last minute.

Melt ¼ cup white chocolate chips with 2 Tbsp. heavy cream. I am lazy and do it in the microwave. Those of you who are more sophisticated might prefer a double boiler. Whatever rocks your world sugar. Anyways, pour the melted mixture into a mixing bowl and add 3 generous Tbsp. of smooth and creamy peanut butter. Beat with an electric mixer until blended. Then add 1 Tbsp. of softened unsalted butter cut into pieces and beat in until mixture is smooth and creamy.

See how yummy "stuff" looks:



While your crust is cooling and your stuff is resting (at room temperature), make what I lovingly call Lazy Girl's Ganache. In an large measuring cup or mixing bowl combine 1-1/3 cups of bittersweet chocolate chips, 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream and 3 Tbsp. of softened, unsalted butter:



Microwave on high in 20 - 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until you get this:



Next, spread the peanut butter-white chocolate concoction onto the cooled (and hopefully not burned to an ever loving crisp) crust. I find that an offset spatula is the best tool for this:



Next - cut up your Halloween candy Mr. Pitt style. You can use whatever you want. I opted for 1 full Kit Kat (regular size), 1 full Snickers, and half of a Twix (I gave the other half to Sumo when we were out that night and I felt like some weird gramma type fishing half eaten candy out of my purse and giving it to a friend but I am sugar-free all week and the temptation would have been too much.). Scatter the candy onto the peanut butter-white chocolate covered pie crust like so:


Then stick the whole mess in the fridge for about 20 - 30 minutes until it has set.

Remove from the fridge and pour in the bittersweet chocolate ganache and then garnish. I topped mine with a pack of peanut M&Ms but again, you could do whatever.


Stick the whole thing back in the fridge (again) and let it set for a few hours or over night. When you go to serve you probably want to let it sit out at room temperature for a wee bit otherwise you'll need a chain saw to cut through the ganache which is not what you want at all. You want the ganache to be solid, but to have a little bit of give...not too unlike fudge.

So yeah. That's my version of Halloween pie and NO it does not have candy corns (although I love candy corns) and NO it does not have orange frosting. It's really just my riff on Candy Bar Pie only I associate candy with Halloween which is why I named it Halloween pie and...ok...I will shut up now.

BTW - I did not actually try the pie (I rarely eat what I bake to begin with but I am on a self-imposed detox this week which means no sugar, no alcohol and nothing fried) but I was told it was pretty tasty. At least the filling part. No one had a chisel to get the crust loose from the pie plate.

1 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I think I just went into a diabetic coma reading that.