Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Much Better Badge

It was exactly 6 weeks ago today that I got kinky with concrete while jogging in Asheville.

And if you'll recall, before that fateful run 6 weeks ago, my shiny, new Mizunos were still shiny and new:



And after that fateful run, my left knee...well, let's just say there was a giant, bloody hole where my left knee cap used to be. WARNING - DO NOT CLICK ON THE PREVIOUS LINK UNLESS YOU ARE INTO BLOOD, GORE AND CONCRETE CARNAGE. IT'S ABSOLUTELY HORRIFYING. YOU WILL BE HORRIFIED. AND GROSSED OUT. AND HATE YOURSELF FOR CLICKING ON THE LINK. AND HATE ME MORE FOR EVEN POSTING THE LINK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So to know that I would be in Asheville exactly 6 weeks to the day AND that I would be going for a run? Well - let's just say I was a wee bit stressed. Witness some of today's Tweets:

6 wks ago today I was jogging in AVL and wound up getting kinky with concrete.
about 12 hours ago from TwitterBerry


Well - guess where I am today? And guess what I'll be doing this afternoon? Yeah - I just hope I don't get knocked up....
about 12 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Getting ready to go for a run. Am insanely terrified.
about 6 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Wondering if this is all some self fulfilling prophecy and I am destined for Urgent Care? Or the ER?
about 6 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Doesn't help that my companion 4 today took someone to the ER last week after she fell & broke her ankle. Granted - she was biking but still
about 6 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Run is now rain delayed. Actually - it's lightning delayed. Which is good. Because getting struck by lightning would kinda suck. Just kinda.
about 5 hours ago from TwitterBerry


I was especially nervous because we were going for a run in the Arboreteum which means trails and hills and gravel and rocks and mud and roots and that's way different that a track or treadmill. Plus, I was going with my boss who is a cyclist and he was going to bike while I jogged but last week he took someone else out biking and Holy Hell y'all - she fell and broke her ankle. Granted - she was biking - but STILL!!! I just ponied up $80 for Kiawah in December and I am determined to run that fucker and run it in under 2 hours...I don't have time to break my ankle! So yeah - anxiety levels were high.

Meanwhile, here's the post-run photographic evidence:



So apparently it's rained EVERY day in Asheville for the last few weeks. Which meant the trails were MUDDY. And now my shiny new Mizunos are no longer shiny and new. But that's ok. Because I decided after the first splash of mud that muddy shoes were a much better badge of honor than a bloody knee.

And speaking of knees, here's what mine looks like 6 weeks later:



And at the end of the day, I ran 6.02 miles in 53:25 which is still under a 9-minute mile which is more than amazing because OMG - as previously stated - I am not used to hills, inclines, rocks, gravels, mud, etc. and I thought for sure my ass was dragging but apparently not. Oh yeah - and I totally didn't fall. So that was even more awesome.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

5 comments:

harmzie said...

holy hell!! it looks like an alien's going to pop out of that thing! Or lava. I didn't click on the link b/c I did last time and since you can't un-see things, I've still got it, thanks. I'm glad to see it's actually healing well, despite its lava-spewing tendencies.

Excellent job with the running. Keep the updates coming.

xox

Nancy said...

OH MY GOD YOUR KNEE! And I'm referring to the healed picture. Sorry!
You're doing great on your training. You've inspired me to start again but I'm super slow but yesterday I ran farther than I have in a long time.

Shelly Overlook said...

OMG, that knee picture is horrific. You could have sold your knee out as an extra for hospital shows. Ack!

So happy to hear your run yesterday was a success, though! Go forth and conquer!!

Karen from Mentor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen from Mentor said...

I'm with Harmzie...I can't unsee the previous photo...

I actually think your new knee skin is quite fetching....and you look dangerous now...kinda like you would if you had a skull tattoo....

a scar ups your street cred...
and since you got the scar LITERALLY on the street....

you go girl....