Monday, July 27, 2009

Loving Letter To A Friend

My beautiful, darling friend* -

Oh pretty girl. Wait - can I still call you girl? Because it seems to me that you have grown up as of late and perhaps girl is an innappropriate moniker. Perhaps you deserve to be called woman. Or grown-up. Or survivor. Because survived you have.

I think of all those nights you called me in tears...near breathless, sobbing, gasping for air and choked.

"I can't do this," you'd weep. "It's too hard."

"Of course you can do this sugar," I'd say as calmly as I could. Because in my heart, I knew you could even if you didn't.

"I can't," you'd moan, the pain of your life bearing down on you with all of the force of a 26-ton submarine.

YES. YOU. CAN.

Oh love. I look at what you've been through and I want to hug you. You have faced your life and that which life has handed you with utter courage and grace and style. I don't think I'd have had the balls to do what you've done, but oh, you are an inspiration.

I want you to know how much I admire you. I want you to know how proud I am of you. I want you to know how much I love you. And I want you to know that I am ALWAYS here for you. No matter what.

It's not always easy to ask for help. And yet ask for help you did.

It's not always easy to do it yourself. And yet at times, you did it on your own, showing an undeniable strength that you did not know you posessed, but of which I was always sure.

My beautiful, darling friend: how much do I love you? I love you so much. I want to hug you always and buy you a martini on Tuesday. I want to go shoe-shopping with you and hold your hand as you listen to the latest batch of bad news.

I am your shoulder. I am your heart. I am here no matter what because gorgeous girl, you are my sister. And there is nothing I wouldn't do for you.

I love you.

xoxo Country Girl

* Names have been ommitted to protect the innocent. And the guilty.