Sunday, July 19, 2009

In Memoriam: Jett

This week we are postponing My Week in Tweets to Monday in order to pay tribute to an exceptionally sweet and loving puppy.

In Memoriam: Jett
January 1, 2000 - July 19, 2009


Jett's story has already been told by an incredible writer and her best friend. I have no intention of competing so I simply suggest you click here and here to read about the world's most wonderful pup and to learn why it is that I will spend much of today in tears.

I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to write about Jett, so I have decided to tell you about our final walk together. Which wasn't particularly noteworthy - but it's what is top of mind. Of course, at the time I obviously had no idea it would be our final walk together - although I doubt I would have done anything differently. Except maybe spend a few more minutes with my darling and beloved sister.

Jett was a Country Dog. What this means for purposes of this discussion is that basically she required grass in order to "do her business." Living in the Country, the lawn was her toilet so whenever she'd come to the City, unless you walked her up to Central Park, she'd usually pop a few squats and that was it. Or so I was told.

And yet about a year ago or so ago, I took Jett for a quick walk around the block and she took an uncharacteristic big steaming poo in the middle of the sidewalk. Lucky for me I had brought along some paper towels and a baggie to pick it up and dispose of it as NYC law requires. I should have brought 2 baggies because OMG a few feet later, she deposited another (thankfully smaller) pile of poo. Glad I held onto that last paper towel!

Anyways, a few weeks ago I went up to visit the family. Dad and I had a lovely father-daughter weekend together up in the Country (along with Jett) and then the 3 of us trundled into the City for a quick 24-hour tour. Mom and Dad went off to the theater that afternoon and I took off for midtown to meet my best friend for a little shopping and catching up. The plan was to meet up with my sister-in-law and nephew for dinner, and since Mom and Dad had a narrow window between the theater and dinner, they asked me to swing by the apartment and take Jett for a quick walk around the block. No problem.

Once again, I was reminded that as a Country Dog, Jett rarely pooped on the sidewalk. However, having remembered what happened last time the 2 of us went for a walk, I stuffed my pockets with baggies and paper towels. First lesson I learned on our last walk? Never try to walk a dog determined to walk you. That's right. After trying to lead her East on one block (where I remembered she seemed to like it last time), she tugged and tugged and tugged until we headed West on another. Ok. I hear ya' sis.

Second lesson learned on our last walk? Apparently 2 Country Girls cancel each other out - or some such weird metaphysical logic like that - because true to form (at least with me), as we neared the end of our walk Jett took a giant poo on the concrete without a blade of grass in sight. God I was glad I came prepared! And as frustrated as I was (picking up dog poo is not very fun), I was also kind of flattered because I guess it meant she trusted me or something. I don't know. All I know is that our last walk was all ours and it was special and poo or no poo I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My beloved Jett:

















My beautiful, sweet, loving, affectionate, wonderful, amazing, baby sister. You will be missed. So much more than you could ever know.

xoxo Country Girl

5 comments:

kyooty said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your "sister".
I don't have a dog and I'm not really a dog person but everytime I'm around one and look into their beautiful loving eyes (mid to big dogs usually), it makes me want to find one and take them home and just love them.

Karen from Mentor said...

Awww.It's never easy. Sorry darlin.
[hugs you]
Karen

Michelle said...

And I'm so sorry for *your* loss, too.

What a beautiful tribute to your sis.

Nenette AM said...

I'm so sorry, my dear. I'll be thinking of you and your family... and your little baby sis.