Friday, June 12, 2009

Shopping...Spending...Never-Ending

At my wedding, my father sang a toast that was a spoof of Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler On The Roof. Instead of

Sunrise, Sunset,
Sunrise, Sunset
Swiftly flow the days...


it was

Shopping, Spending
Never-ending
Neimans, Bergdorf's, Saks...


And I am proud to say that yesterday afternoon I lived up to my retail lovin' ways.

First up? A visit to Run For Your Life to purchase much-needed new sneakers. So did you know that you are supposed to replace your sneakers every 6 months? You can stretch it to a year if all you do is walk but any other serious form of exercise requires new shoes every 6 months. At $100/pair it seems kind of like a racket. Then again, I spent almost $5000 (well, 15% of $5000 thanks to insurance) to be told I needed new shoes so actually $100 every 6 months seems fairly reasonable.

Check out my awesome new Mizunos:



And because a friend of mine who recently purchased new, super-duper-high-support sneakers got a terrible case of blisters (though it may have had something to do with the fact that she was training for a 15K) I wound up purchasing special high performance running socks @ $9/pair. File in Twitter under #suchasucker.



And then, because after the socks the sales guy totally realized he had me hooked like some poor, slippery catfish, he pulled out...The Stick also known as The Toothbrush for Muscles. He told me that I probably wouldn't buy it this trip and that I'd probably come back and get it next trip (which I guess he thought would be in 6 months or so) and then he started rubbing it up and down his leg to show me how it worked and then I lunged at him and practically snatched it from his hand politely asked if I might try it and started rubbing it up and down my leg and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. I just want to brush my leg muscles all day long. It was heaven. This little thing is heaven:



And I knew, as good as it felt, that if I didn't purchase it RIGHT THERE ON THE SPOT I'd probably regret it the rest of my life. Seriously.

So after making sure that the good folks at Run For Your Life were well taken care of (and had filled their #suchasucker quotient) I ventured South on Tryon Street (a first for me) to The Wine Shop at Rivergate for a FREE Gundlach Bundschu wine tasting.

I have kind of an interesting story with the awesome folks at Gun Bun. I mentioned the heavenly Gun Bun 2005 Rhinefarm Vineyard Pinot Noir in a post back in March and it actually popped up in the Google Alerts of Gun Bun's Marketing Director (incidentally also a Duke Alum) and so she and I started emailing back and forth. And then I got put in touch with their National Sales Director because I am planning a MASSIVE AWESOME KILLER KICK-ASS benefit for the Lincoln County Historical Association this fall and we are looking for wine donations...

Anyways, the National Sales Director happened to be in Charlotte yesterday so I happily headed to the other end of the universe South Charlotte to Rivergate where I got to sample not 1...not 2...but 7 amazing Gun Bun pours and where I got to hang out and talk sophisticated food and wine with smart and sophisticated people and where because I was already on a retail high, I decided that I just had to own some Gun Bun as well. Check out my haul (although 2 of those bottles are actually gifts so I am not as selfish as you think. In fact, I am an extremely kind and loving and generous person. Although don't ask me to share *my* Gun Bun - I might get stabby with a corkscrew.)



So all in all it was a pretty fantastic afternoon/evening - at least for me and the suave sales guys at Run For Your life and my new friends at Gun Bun and even the guy who owns The Wine Shop at Rivergate who didn't really have to do anything except swipe my Visa.

So you tell me: in the high-intrigue world of retail and shopping, what have you indulged in recently?

Of course, after being all jacked up from shopping, I drove home, got some take-out wings (natch) and brushed my leg with The Stick. Oh yeah. It was awesome.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

4 comments:

Elizabeth aka @APMonkey said...

They are expensive as hell, but I think you'll love the Feetures. I haven't had a single blister since I switched to them. And my Dad, who is a "serious runner", swears by The Stick.

harmzie said...

Lovely shoes dahling. I, myself, am an Asics girl, but just because that's what made my feet go "aaahhh" when I put them on. With the mileage I put on them, they should actually last about six years... Need to change that. Have not heard of The Stick, will investigate. I happen to be in requirement of utensils with which to pleasure myself.

Purchases? Speaking of shoes, a week and a half ago I was in the kind of pissy mood that only shopping can rectify. However, I have "grown" (which makes me groan) such that I can't just make impulse purchases - they make me angry later ("why DID I buy this crap that now just clutters up my closet/make up bag/living room?"). Some quick soul-searching and I recalled that I was still looking for a pair of brown flats, so I thought I'd try.

At a local schwanky shoe store, I discovered my eccos, because they look awesome and they made my feet go "ahhhhh". Truth! I swear I heard them! Because of the pissy mood I was in AND the fact they made my feet go "ahhhh", I paid FULL PRICE. In this town, that is unheard of. NOBODY pays full price. Here, the mentality is that it's not so much a victory to find a good deal, but an abject failure not to. But I was good with it.

kyooty said...

I'm hyper ventilating here, OMG! the money you spent! I feel like I'm reading excerpts from Shopoholic books?

What happened to the 40.00 shoes?you know they work and if you have to replace them 3 or 4 times a year that still beats 200.00 a year! well then again I dont' work. I do not get paid to sit home and read.

Nenette AM said...

Wow, I'm such a shopping lightweight compared to you! It's almost embarrassing. :)
The fam went to the mall yesterday for some mall grub and window shopping.
I came home with a Body Shop loofah cloth, and I was giddy!