Friday, June 19, 2009

Hot. Hot. Hot.

Ok..so for starters...it's NOT EVEN OFFICIALLY EFFING SUMMER YET and I already had my first meltdown. Literally. Fed the animals yesterday still dressed up from my lunch and by the time I came back into the house I was drenched and sweaty and NO IT'S NOT A GOOD LOOK NOT FOR ME OR ANYONE and OMG THIS HEAT IS MAKING ME CRAZY and HOW THE HELL DID PEOPLE SURVIVE BEFORE FREON and OMG CAN I MOVE TO ALASKA and OMG I DID NOT KNOW I COULD SWEAT THERE! Yes...you can see how well I deal with extreme heat and humidity. The next few months are bound to be long. And ranty.

But I am not here to bitch complain about the heat. I am here to talk about hot dead guys and old movies.

As with so many things I write about these days, it all started (innocently enough - HAH!) on Facebook.

Mid-Audrey Marathon, I updated my FB status (natch) with the following:

Country Girl would totally trade the crowned jewels to run off with Gregory Peck. Totally.

Quel Surprise! It spurred a rash of comments. Most of which were along the lines of "Totally" and "Agreed" (because yeah - who WOULDN'T run off with Gregory Peck...oh yeah...Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday. But I guarantee you if it'd been Audrey Hepburn in Two For the Road she TOTALLY would have ditched the palace in favor of a love shack in Cinqueterre with Gregorio Peck. Totally.) But leave it to my girl Harmzie (who's normally snarktastically hilarious) to pose a serious comment:

I need to see some classic movies. I am missing a whole bunch.

Um hello. Where did you miss the part about Gregory Peck being HOT? Although for the record, the hottest Gregory Peck is the To Kill a Mockingbird Gregory Peck because he's all righteous and right and battling small town racism and he's a single dad and those glasses and that hair and Holy Hell I'd bring him back from the dead in a heartbeat. Along with Cary Grant who defines suave/funny/sexy/cool/awesome even though he was apparently an LSD-addicted homosexual who clearly discovered Mystic Tan before Mystic Tan was invented. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Still...

Harmize was on a mission because she commented on Sunday's post too:

p.s. use the new-found time to write me a post about which classic movies I must see.

Ok Harmzie. I hear ya babe. I hear ya.

So I am hardly a classic movie buff. And there are plenty of classic classics I haven't seen. But I have seen more than a few. Although you can tell there are themes. For example, I have seen nearly every Audrey Hepburn film ever made (even the bad ones...even the made-for-TV-movie which starred Jennifer Love Hewitt as Audrey - OMG what were network execs thinking and what was I thinking for actually watching that crap?), but I don't think I have ever seen a Katherine Hepburn movie. The closest I've come is that movie whose name I can't remember (and am too damn lazy to IMDB) where Leo plays Howard Hughes and Cate Blanchett plays Katherine Hepburn. And while I seriously heart Cary Grant, I haven't seen a lot of his films.

Anyways, in no particular order here's my recommended list of classic movies (and in order to control this post I am refraining from specific commentary on each film!):

* Citizen Kane
* Gone With The Wind
* Breakfast at Tiffany's
* Roman Holiday
* Sabrina
* Charade
* Dial M For Murder
* Rear Window
* Double Indemnity
* Sorry Wrong Number
* To Catch A Thief
* North By Northwest
* That Touch of Mink
* Vertigo
* An Affair to Remember
* Wait Until Dark
* Day of The Jackal
* The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
* The Jazz Singer
* Casablanca
* Frenzy
* The Stepford Wives (NOT THE CRAPPY NICOLE KIDMAN/MATTHEW BRODERICK ONE - OBVIOUSLY THAT'S NOT EFFING CLASSIC - IT'S EFFING CRAP!)
* Two For The Road
* Funny Face
* Love In The Afternoon
* To Kill a Mockingbird

It's a random list. Heavy on Audrey. Leaning towards Cary. A dash of Bogey. A dash of Astaire. A sprinkling of Peck.

Am curious darling readers...what are your favorite classics? And how do you define classic? As I was writing this, I began to wonder what was the cut-off point for classic? 1950s? 1960s? Isn't Trading Places "classic?" What about Cannonball Run? I'm just sayin...

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

10 comments:

Karen said...

Watch The African Queen with Katherine Hepburn and admire her strength, beauty, and sense of independence, especially for her era. Plus the life lessons in the flick are timeless.

harmzie said...

This is an *awesome* list! Thank you! Max and I have always talked of movies we should see and talked of getting a hold of a "100 greatest" list, but that seemed so daunting...

More modern classics? Shawshank Redemption and, um, Groundhog Day. I could watch those ones fo-evah. *I* think the original Star Wars movies were, but that might be venturing into Nerd Wars as the TLOTR faction kicks into high-gear. Those movies (TLOTR) were masterfully done, but I just didn't care as much for the story (ghost-pirates? what is this, Scooby Doo?).

Others? The Breakfast Club, Heathers...

Shelly Overlook said...

We have such similar taste in movies, it's eerie.

I second the African Queen recommendation. Also: Bringing Up Baby and Philadelphia Story.

I can still get creeped out watching Wait Until Dark. Audrey was the ultimate blind lady.

Karen from Mentor said...

Sexiest Bogart/Bacall movie: The Big Sleep

Best Grant/Katherine Hepburn pairing : Bringing up Baby.
(when Cary answers the door in a fluffy pink negligee and is asked why he is wearing it and shouts "Because I suddenly went GAY!!!" you'll die laughing. Plus....he's comando in the scene...and the negligee is THIN....just saying.

And Peck in TKAM????? yum (also my favorite book of all time.)

Michael Rennie in The Day the earth stood still.....oh my....I want to tear that buttoned up suit off of him whenever I see it.

OK. There you go. food for thought.

Karen from Mentor said...

P.S. I think you threw in Citizen Kane just to look intellectual.

:)

kyooty said...

7 Brides for 7 Brothers,
Meet Me in St. Lois or anything Judy Garland really.


in the spirit of Harmzies 80's list, my boys are watching the Back to the Futures

Beth Fish said...

You can have Gregory Peck, as long as you give me Jimmy Stewart. Harvey, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Vertigo, Rear Window, Rope (Oh My God, ROPE!), Wonderful Life, Philadelphia Story, etc.

Karen from Mentor said...

@ Karen!
I was just in your gallery online.
Your work IS STUNNING...JUST STUNNING.

Karen :)

musingwoman said...

Great list! Glad you mentioned The Jazz Singer. I must see that.

The Bishop's Wife is one of my favorite Cary Grant movies. And for Katherine Hepburn I love Rooster Cogburn.

P.S. I, too, am an Audrey fangirl.

Nenette AM said...

I'm like you at both ends of the thermometer... I'd die without indoor heating in the frickin' winter and AC in the frickin' summer. I have trouble with extremes.

My list would include everything on your list plus Philadelphia Story, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, It's a Wonderful Life, Bringing Up Baby, The 10 Commandments, The Sound of Music, and Some Like it Hot.
I also have a soft spot for Gentlemen Prefer Blonds... which I swear got me through 3rd Year Finals and OMG all the calculus!

As for Modern Classics... Pride and Prejudice (with the yummilicious Colin Firth), Breakfast Club, Grease (yes, the first one, although OMG Grease 2!), Reservoir Dogs, LOTR, and Star Wars...
And the voices in my head are telling me to add Porky's to the list... although the voices are also telling me to "kill them all", so I'll just leave Porky's to an Honourable Mention.