Ok - so I know that even thinking of writing this post is totally the pot calling the kettle black and oh-so hypocritical of me (seeing as I have next Tuesday and Wednesday nights blocked off in my calendar) - but riddle me this campers: Why the Hell do any of us give one flying fig about American Idol?
Eight years ago, when Kelly and Justin went into that final week...we all knew the outcome would be life-changing. ONE of them would walk away THE AMERICAN IDOL while the other...well, the other would just walk away. In theory. Right? Wasn't that the whole point? Give THE best singer THE chance of a lifetime and Give a "Sorry suckas" and "Thanks for playing" to everyone else?
Only, nowadays, you don't need to win to get the recording contract. You don't need to win to become famous. You don't need to win be a star. You don't even need to be good (hello William Huang). And I don't have time (nor do I really care that much) to do a whole bunch of Idol research and show how many actual winners versus non-winners have been successful and what that means in terms of album sales and shit but here are some random thoughts:
* The only 2 Idol winners who have been TRULY successful in my book are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. I mean - does anyone know where Fantasia is and does anyone give a shit?
* Chris Daughtry (voted off at #4 in Season 5) clearly smokes Taylor Hicks. Clearly. And Kellie Pickler? Why she's doing New Year's Eve with Ryan in Times Square and opening for Taylor Swift. Where the Hell are you Katherine McPhee?
* Shit. Speaking of Season 5. Bucky Covington smokes Taylor Hicks. What's that all about? Damn. Season 5 was fucked up (and that was the one year I actually voted).
* Three words: Jennifer. Hudson. Oscar.
* I was on iTunes the other day and you know who has a new single or maybe even album? Elliott Yamin. Remember that dude? I do. Barely. Well, this will be Danny Gokey in a year...unless Danny Gokey does the whole Christian Rock thing (which I totally think he should) in which case he might actually get elevated to some sort of God-like status.
* You know who else is releasing/has released albums and/or singles recently: Mandisa, Ace Young, Paris Bennett, Josh Gracin and Brooke White. Were any of them Idols? No.
* Can anyone tell me what happened to Jordin Sparks and/or David Cook? Once again, does anyone care? And did it really matter that David Cook beat David Archueleta last year because they both released albums.
* And wasn't Constantine Maroulis on TV or Broadway or BFF with Kelsey Grammar or something?
It's not that I don't love Idol. I do. And I will totally watch next week along with 78 gazillion other people. But I write all this to make the point that this show is no longer about ONE really talented person getting a recording contract. It's about - like half a dozen people (some with talent, some not so much) getting recording contracts. And the chance to tour (at least the Top 10). And I simply think the end result is less interesting, less life-changing and therefore, I am less on the edge of my seat about the whole thing.
What are your thoughts on Idol? Am I smoking-my-shoelaces-Paula Abdul crazy? Or am I so right-like-Simon-ALWAYS-is right? Do you really think it matters the difference between first, second and eighth place?
I mean is Kris Allen really going to fade back into Arkansas obscurity when he loses to Adam next week? Probably not. In fact, they good people of Conway will probably slap his picture on their homepage to replace the photo of that bison.
And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...
5 hours ago