Thursday, May 28, 2009

iPod Overhaul

So remember a few weeks ago when I confessed to my flirtation with pop princesses? Well, I've taken it a step further and I am now having a full-on love affair with pop music. Witness what I have recently downloaded on my iPod:

* More P!nk. Initially could not commit to a full album download but downloaded Sober (because it was popular), Please Don't Leave Me (ditto on the popular thing), U + UR Hand (on the recommendation of @lilsaej) and Trouble (ditto on the @lilsaej recommendation). Liked them all more than a little bit.

* Kate Voegele. Had no idea who she was but she was listed on the Pop home page and I think people who downloaded Kate also like Kelly Clarkson and/or Katy Perry so I tried 2 singles: Angel and 99 Times to get started. Two very user friendly Pop Princess songs.

* Boom Boom Pow by Black Eyed Peas. This was strictly the result of hearing it 800 times on the radio and it being totally addictive.

* Poker Face by Lady GaGa. So yes - clearly I got over her cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs crazy get-up on Idol and am now kind of in love with her. Supposedly the entire album is good but for now I am sticking with Poker Face.

* Womanizer by Britney. Yes - I know I said I could never bring myself to download Britney. And by never apparently I meant a month or so because that's how long it took me to get over my anti-Britney sentiment. And it was only because I heard this song on the radio and it's another utterly addictive song. And so Britney can't really sing. I mean I am pretty sure what I am hearing is not her actual voice. And it's more talking the singing. But I still love the song. And it's great to work out to too.

* I am absolutely obsessed with Kristy, Are You Doing Ok by the Offspring. So technically this is not pop - it's alternative - but they were playing it on the same radio station that plays Britney, Lady GaGa, P!nk and that's how it found its way onto my iPod.

* I downloaded No Surprise by Daughtry on a whim. I think it was his new single and I like some of his other stuff. Ok - so I am glad I did because I love this song. Although for the record - he's got such a great voice, there's not really a need to produce him quite so much. Just sayin'...

* I was not so lucky with The Lovers are Leaving by Keane. I think the problem with Keane is that NOTHING will ever be as good as Hopes and Fears. That album kicked ass.

* I must have been high on a downloading spree when I added Avalanche by Marie Digby (I know - who?). I mean, it's not terrible but it hasn't grabbed me yet either. But maybe that's because it's too far down on my playlist and I keep repeating all of the songs I love so I never quite get to it.

* I finally committed to P!nk and downloaded the rest of Funhouse. And I am so glad I did although you can totally tell she was going through her break-up with Carey Hart when she was making this because 95% of the songs are ridiculously tortured. (So ps I totally just wrote Corey Hart at first and then I'm like wait a minute - I don't think P!nk married the Sunglasses at Night dude and I had to Google "P!nk husband" because clearly my knowledge of pop culture sucks these days. At least I didn't write Corey Haim.)

* I recently added Viva La Vida by Coldplay. I think because it had seeped into my subconscious after hearing it on the radio a lot. And I like it...I do...but I am not sure this is a song I permanently need in my collection. I feel like my love of this song will quickly pass and I'll be ready to move on.

* So going from singles to album was such a success with P!nk, that when Kate Voegele's full album was released last week, I downloaded the whole thing. Um yeah. Jury is still out but so far, have not really liked any of the songs other than the ones that I already had. Sometimes that happens.

* So thank you 95.1 for totally pimping as-yet-unknown Kristiana DeBarge and her awesome single Goodbye. It's much appreciated.

So you can see my iPod has undergone a serious overhaul in the last few weeks. And it's been fun and interesting. And I have some seriously kickass tunes to work-out to. My biggest problem is that I have a 6GB iPod Mini from 2005 and it only holds so many songs so for every song I add, something must come off because I am AT CAPACITY and I think I probably need to suck it up and buy a new iPod that can hold 50 million songs and videos and movies and whatnot. Or just wait til my birthday (hint hint). Which incidentally - I got my Mini when I turned 30 and I will be so sad to retire it because we had it engraved and it says: SRP Thirty & Fabulous. I guess I can be 34 and Fabulous too.

So little lambs: what are you listening to these days?

Oh...and lest you think I have gone completely UNCOUNTRY you...in the midst of all this Pop Madness, I still managed to continue my totally tortured love affair with Toby Keith (so yes...I like Tony Keith. There. I said it. Get over it and let's move on.) and downloaded Lost You Anyway. I might be the only person who's got Toby Keith sandwiched between Daughtry and Katy Perry on her playlist.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

10 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I listen to a lot of stuff, some most people don't know about. It depends on my moods, really.

For running, I like trance music that has little or no words and just intsrumentals and beats, like Paul Van Dyk, BT, Ferry Corsten, Deadmau5. It gets my mind and body in some kind of zone and I just run and run.

But if I'm not seriously running and just going for a jog with the dog or something, I love dance/rap stuff, like Flo Rida, Beastie Boys, Anna Grace.

Chilling in the house? Adele, Anouk, Otis Reading, Sam Cooke, Ray Lamontagne.

Feeling funky and cleaning? Chromeo, Eric Hutchinson, The Gossip, Eric Lindell, Jack Johnson, Donovan Frankenreiter, Andrew Bird.

Reading w/a glass of wine? Orchestral, Vivaldi, Bach.

Wow, thanks for letting me write my own post. LOL

harmzie said...

Yesterday, to dig myself out of a recent funk, I BLASTED "It's a Wonderful Night" by Fatboy Slim on my iPod in the car. After Nenette posted the Craig Kilborn vid (can't recall when - a month ago? Coincided with pot day, which had a specific day, but I can't remember what it is) I immediately went & bought the song.

I haven't been to a concert in like 10 years, but I'm going to both The Offspring (with hub) and Coldplay (with fam) next month, two days apart. Crazy. I'm sure you'll hear more!

Linda said...

Well I listen to whatever I feel at the time.

Queen
Paris Keeling
Kelly Keeling
Nightwish
Slaughter
80's Hair Bands
Mark Wood
Beethoven
Journey
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Cat Stevens
etc.

Nancy said...

So much good music, so little time!
I love Britney but I agree, we're not hearing her actual voice. S'ok I love the beat.
I have a previous CD of Pink but I really really hated "So What" so I don't know what to think of her anymore.
You're right -- Nothing will ever be better than Hopes and Fears. EVER.
I like 80's Disco - scratch that - I LOVE 80's Disco. I will dance to it in a store if I hear it.
I like to find different stuff - usually while listening to the Adult alternative channel on my television. My recent favorite is Gabe Dixon Band. It's peppy and a little bit of southern rock. I can't stop listening to it.
I also have an affection for country - Keith Urban, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood (have every CD and have seen her in concert 6?7?8? times), Toby Keith too but only have an old greatest hits. Ty Hernandon!
OK, I'll stop now...

AliCat said...

I got drunk one time and downloaded Britney's entire new album, largely because I watched the MTV documentary and felt bad for her (and because I was drunk). Turns out that was a bad decision.

Nenette AM said...

My current Blip.fm, mp3 player, and laptop playlists include:

Kraak & Smaak... "Squeeze Me" is still my favourite of theirs though.
Finger 11... "Paralyzer"
Madonna... Mostly her classic stuff.
Steppenwolf... "Magic Carpet Ride"
Fatboy Slim... "It's a Wonderful Night" has been the kind of song that I'd gladly replace any earworm with.
U2.. their old stuff... back when they were considered alternative.
80s music in general because it reminds me of my days as a bassist and we covered a LOT of 80s new wave songs...
B52s... Excellent music to houseclean to.
And if I want to sing along and dance, I usually go with... Lady Gaga, Pink, Kylie Minogue, Sarah McLachlan...
... I'm sure I'm missing more...

@Harmzie - That's Craig Ferguson, Harmzie-girl, not Kilborn. Ick - Kilborn.
And it was on April 20...

harmzie said...

Also? About Britney? My daugher (9) runs around singing:

"nana nana nana nana nanana cirrrrcus". Direct quote.

@Nenette AM - aahahaha! oops. Sorry! Ya, BIG difference! (don't tell @dee_imp ok? Seriously. She'll cut me!)

Nenette AM said...

@Harmzie - Hey, that sounds like me singing Circus! LOL Re: Craigs... Don't worry, I won't tell @dee_imp. she won't stop at the cutting, she'll get all stabby too.

word verification: pions
(hehehe, I'm so juvenile...)

Elizabeth aka All Purpose Monkey said...

I am completely schizophrenic with my music. A sample from the most recent songs I've listened to on iTunes / Blip.fm:

ZZ Top - My Mind Is Gone
Men Without Hats - Antarctica
The Prime Movers - Strong As I Am
Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away
Mr. Oizo - Flat Beat
Mushroomhead - Kill Tomorrow
Black Eyed Peas - Pump It
Manfred Mann – Blinded By The Light
Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker
Mastodon - Oblivion
Natacha Atlas – Mon Amie La Rose

It drives my husband crazy how I can go from metal to 80's pop to rap to classic rock literally back to back to back when I'm in one of my "DJ moods" as he calls it.

carrol said...

Play the worlds largest puzzle n win a apple i-phone, digital

cameras and ipods every week.


click on the link below n win a I phone

http://www.stay-sharp.in/staysharp/liptonLogin.aspx?um=1