Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Twenty Things You Didn’t Know About Us

When I was originally asked to participate in the Flipping Out blog tour, I didn't quite know what to do. You see, I think that the primary reason I was asked had nothing to do with the nature or content of my blog. It had nothing to do with my readers being fans of mystery novels. And it had nothing to do with how much traffic crossed my site on a daily basis. It had to do with the fact that I am the author’s daughter.

Don't get me wrong. I don't view the invitation to participate as nepotism (my blog, for the record, is pretty kick-ass). However, If That Ain't Country, which chronicles my fish-out-of-water experiences as a city girl transplanted to rural North Carolina, hardly has anything to do with mystery novels and the types of folks who enjoy them. The only connection between me and Flipping Out is genetics.

So I struggled with what to do. Especially given my time slot – April 21st. Did I want to be the 21st person to review Flipping Out? Did I want to be the 21st person to interview Marshall Karp, big time mystery author? Leave it up to my brilliant blogging consigliere to plant the seed and tell me that “it might be fun to take advantage of your unique position and write something a little more personal.” And so I decided to be the first blogger to take advantage of her position as Marshall’s daughter and to give you a one-of-a-kind and possibly unexpected stop on the Flipping Out blog tour. And maybe somewhere in there, you’ll see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Sarah

1. The best hug I have ever received was from my father on September 12th, 2001.

2. I wish that life would offer us more occasions to wear feather boas and large hats.

3. I am deathly afraid of raw chicken, losing my parents, being buried alive and heights.

4. I am a rougeneck….which translates to a goat mama who loves NASCAR and country music but still wears Dolce & Gabanna and carries a Louis Vuitton Alma.

5. I secretly watch Saved by the Bell in the morning when I should be watching the news.

6. I love Grease but I love Grease 2 more.

7. I can still remember all the lyrics and most of the choreography to my Heaven Hop routine from when I played in Bonnie in our 8th grade production of Anything Goes.

8. I cannot, under any circumstances, watch the scene in Trading Places where Dan Akroyd is on the bus drunk after trying to bust up the Duke & Duke Christmas party. His beard and wig are grey and dirty and he’s all slurry and mean. And then he pulls the smoked salmon out of his jacket and it gets all tangled in his dirty beard and then he eats it. Seriously – I close my eyes every time.

9. There is only one way to load the dishwasher: MY WAY. And it involves organizing the silverware. Cluttered dishwashers give me a headache.

10. I don't think you can try to be a writer. Or wish to be a writer. I think you either are a writer or you aren't. To me, writing is who you are, not what you do. I am a writer.

The Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Marshall

1. The best hug I have ever received was from my daughter. Sarah was at the base of Tower One when the first plane hit on 9/11. It took 90 minutes until I knew she was alive and 36 hours before I finally got to hug her. It was the best, and most anticipated hug of my life.

2. I wish that life would offer us more occasions to undo. When one of my characters gets it wrong in a book, I have time to rewrite it before anyone sees it. When I screw up, I can apologize, but there’s no delete button.

3. I am deathly afraid of drowning. A third time. Having been rescued twice, I think I've gotten more than my share of gifts from God.

4. I am a total, glass-filled-to-the-rim, blithering, babbling, diehard optimist.

5. I secretly watch people. In airports, on the street, in stores. I catalogue real people’s behavior. You’d be amazed how the smallest quirks can work their way into one of my characters.

6. I love being with people, but I love being alone more.

7. I can still remember sitting on my father’s lap when I was two or three and watching him dunk his hard roll into his coffee. I can still smell it.

8. I cannot, under any circumstances, watch a horror movie or a medical show and not close my eyes.

9. There is only one way to never get caught lying.

10. Athletes, supermodels, cops, surgeons, belly dancers — they all have one thing in common. Sooner or later they have to call it quits, and move on to something else. Being a writer means the thing that I love to do the most is something I can keep on doing. There’s a clock ticking for me, but not for my career.

I am hoping that both ITAC readers and Marshall Karp fans alike found this enlightening. If not, I learned it from my dad…

If that ain't country, I’ll kiss your…

4 comments:

Fiona Picklebottom said...

Well of course the silverware must be organized. Otherwise, spoons might... well, spoon, which would leave one side of each spoon still dirty. Also, I suppose the forks could spoon as well and then all that spooning could lead to a silverware orgy, which could lead to someone getting jealous, and if that someone is a sharp knife, someone else might get stabbed. It's just safer to keep the silverware organized and avoid these types of scenarios. Myself, I am very careful that no spooning goes on in my dishwasher.

Elizabeth White said...

The lists were a great alternative to a review, but... raw chicken? Really? That's... unique. ;-)

Of course you love Grease 2 more... doesn't every girl want a "cool rider"? :-)

Debbie said...

I too am afraid of raw chicken. Freaks me out. Also, a whole chicken reminds me of a newborn baby.

I am so happy that you and your father had that hug.

You two do seem to be quite alo alike, does this cause you to butt heads every so often?

Karen from Mentor said...

Sarah,
I CAN'T BELIEVE you didn't have thirty gazillion comments on this post. You must have had a lot of lurkers.

Gawd..9/11..SO glad you got the hug!
Drowning..been there..but only once thank god ..
Every time I dress a chicken I picture my daughter when she was four asking me to make it dance.
(of course I did)
don't know if that image will help/hurt you with YOUR aversion, but it was upper most in my brain at the moment while sitting here typing while humming cool rider.

The apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree...and it looks like a pretty damn good tree.

Thanks for sending me the posts!
Glad you liked yesterday's Q&A.
Karen :)