Friday, April 24, 2009

Pop Princess

About 3 weeks ago, it was one of those gorgeous, sunny, spring-like days - in fact I think it was the first such day we'd had all season (and it was following like, 2 weeks of non-stop grayness, gloominess and rain so it was especially welcome). And I was stuck in my car driving to Durham and I realized that I didn't have a whole lot of "Happy Music" on my iPod.

So my love of country music has been well documented and I still love it, but there are only so many "my-husband-left-me-my-job-sucks-I-drink-too-much-cuz-my-heart-is-breaking-and-oh-yeah-my-dog-got-run-over" songs a girl can listen to and when the sun is shining and the sky is blue and you are cruising down the freeway doing 70mph you want "Happy Music." At least I do. So that day, the happiest music I could find on my iPod was the soundtrack to Mamma Mia and it hit the spot because really, what's happier than ABBA? (Although for the record, my favorite song is The Winner Takes It All which is like, totally one of the most depressing and heart-wrenching songs EVER. I don't know why but I like listening to people sing about their pain. What does this say about me?)

So when I returned home, and was prepping for my next long drive (this one the following week to Atlanta) I decided to get out of my country comfort zone and explore the world of pop music.

The first song I downloaded was So What, by Pink, on the recommendation of my friend Dr. Diva. Not necessarily happy in terms of sentiment, but a total rock-on-with-your-bad-self-because-you-are-a-rockstar kind of song with a really upbeat tempo that makes you feel like dancing while you are driving.

Next came Beyonce. Sorry. Sasha Fierce. I had heard Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) at the roller rink and it definitely seemed to be Happy.

But then after those 2 songs I struggled. I couldn't quite bring myself to download Lady Gaga (who at the time was on the top of the pop charts on iTunes) after seeing her crazy performance on Idol the other week and there was no way in Hell - no way - I was going to download Britney Spears. And then it came to me. In some sort of random moment of divine intervention. Katy Perry.

I heard a Katy Perry song once on the radio last summer, randomly driving in the car from the Newburgh airport to see my parents (the same weekend we saw Neil Diamond) and didn't think much of it. I think I know Katy more from her frequent appearances on Go Fug Yourself. And yet - her name came to me in a moment of inspiration and the next thing you know I had downloaded the entire album, One of The Boys.

So how much fun is Katy Perry? She is so much fun. She is makes-me-want-to-go-dancing fun. She is sing-out-loud-at-the-top-of-my-lungs fun. She is kind of bubblegum pop, kind of edgy, kind of real and totally a girl. And so I entered into the world of Pop Princesses.

Kelly Clarkson came next. I can't claim divine intervention for this. More like, I kept searching on iTunes to see what other artists people who had downloaded Katy had downloaded and Kelly's name came up and once again, despite knowing little about her, her music or the new album, I downloaded the entire album All I Ever Wanted. Here's what I have to say about my girl Kelly: My Life Would Suck With U too Kelly!

Ok - so not 100% Happy Music - but definitely another rock-on-with-your-bad-self-girlfriend kind of album and just oodles of fun to listen to (and dance to. I now dance while I drive. It must be highly entertaining for the other drivers).

Still...I can't quite get away from my Country Girl roots. The last song I downloaded - and by the far the MOST AWESOME HAPPY SONG EVER: It Happens by Sugarland. Seriously - I could be having the worst day ever and I listen to that song and I am instantly lifted. But I have already told you that I think Jennifer Nettles is a badass.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

ps Now taking suggestions on other Pop Princesses to add to my iPod...

1 comments:

Nancy said...

I've noticed when I'm working out listening to my IPod I don't have alot of happy peppy music either.
I DO however have a playlist set up of Disco Music because it makes me just get up and dance.