Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things II

So it's been a while since I have blogged about my favorite things. Over 2 months in fact. Part of it has to do with the fact, that frankly, nothing in particular has been so inspiring as to qualify as one of "My Favorite Things." I mean - really, how can you top the big cup at Bojangles?

But recently, I have developed fondness...dare I say love...for something else that actually warrants its own post.

I am going to backtrack by saying that I once had the dubious distinction of appearing in an infomercial. It was after college, and in an attempt to shed those pesky beer-and-pizza-and-Doritos-and-Tootsie pop-pounds that had accumulated senior year, I joined Exude, a fitness program in NYC that I read about in some magazine and that seemed to make sense.

And it did (make sense that is). I probably lost 10 or so pounds and more importantly than pounds, I shed inches. My body was transformed. So when Exude asked me to be one of the testimonials in their first infomercial,I said yes.

Sadly - I don't remember much about the experience - only what I wore - and the fact that I kind of danced around in a circle for a moment to show off my toned, svelte, figure. And I also remember people actually seeing me on TV at like, 3 in the morning. The weirdest was a shoe salesman at a very small and yet very prestigious shoe "boutique" whom I would see once a year when I would go in to make my annual purchase. That year, he told me had seen me on TV at an odd hour after having drunk several beers and the whole thing was rather peculiar.

So, infomercials. Yeah. I love them. Well - some of them. Aside from my own personal infomercial experience, I am a huge fan of Ron Popeil and his larger-than-life personality and all of his genius inventions. I have probably purchased at least 3 Showtime Rotisseries (they are the greatest indoor rotisserie ever) and I have always wanted to buy a chop-o-matic as well as one of those food dehydrators...

So the other night I found myself awake at 4am...tossing and turning. And so I flipped on the TV. It was one infomercial after another and all sucky ones at that. They all had to do with exercise or making money off the Internet or how males might enlarge a certain part of their body with the help of "real science." And while most of today's infomercials do suck, there is one out there that changed my life. Or at least my hair.

The InStyler. Marty and I watched the infomercial for the first time back in January and we immediately ordered two. Just watch the video: women with kinky/curly/frizzy/crazy-out-of-control hair use this device and instantaneously their locks are transformed into sleek, smooth coiffures. They can be straight, curled, flipped, flopped...this one little device does it all. Or so the video would have you believe.

It took me a while to get used to the InStyler. I struggled with whether or not to put the brush on the top or on the bottom? Did I flip under, or flip out? But with my latest haircut, courtesy of the one and only Miss Holly Perkins of Lincolnton, I find that the InStyler is doing wonders for my hair (one trick: go slowly in order to achieve the shiny, sleek look promoted on the infomercial).

So in a roundabout sort of way, I am adding the InStyler to the list of a Few of My Favorite Things.

What can I say - I style my hair with something sold on TV at 4 in the morning.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

1 comments:

Beth Fish said...

Seriously? Because I was just about to order that thing, and then it occurred to me that you are just teasing us.