Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How I Do Grits

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine sent me a sort of Grits treatise. I think he was trying to shock the Yankee in me. However, being the unflappable girl that I am, I subsequently shared my thoughts on coarsely ground hominy.

For the record, my first memory of grits was Polly Holliday drawling that classic line weekly on Alice: "Kiss my Grits Mel." I used to repeat that in my finest Southern accent as a young girl. I am not 100% sure I knew exactly what she meant, but Lord did I love how she was saying it...

My first real exposure to grits was probably in the form of polenta...are they still Grits if eaten on a mountain top in Italy?

All that aside, I don't really care for Grits. They are not my thing. Send me off to breakfast at the finest greasy spoon in the South and I will opt for toast (yes toast - preferably rye or sourdough although they are both hard to come by below the Mason Dixon line) and hash browns every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Grits just aren't one of the starchy sides I go for.

But - every once in a while I enjoy them. My most favorite recent Grits experience was last Spring. I was at a conference on Isle of Palms, SC and for breakfast there was a Grits bar. You could choose from either traditional "plain" Grits or tomato Grits and they were served (in a martini glass) with a variety of traditional toppings including bacon, tomato, cheese and green onions. I had the tomato Grits - LOADED - and they were INCREDIBLE.

But other than that, I have pretty much avoided them. Until last night.

Last night for dinner Marty cooked a Brennan's classic: Chippewa Shrimp and Goat Cheese Grits. I will tell you what (and I know that Grits traditionalists everywhere will fall over at this): I would eat Grits EVERY day if they were prepared like this...goat cheese (lots and lots), milk, fresh herbs. There wasn't even a lick of butter (well, the Chippewa butter on top), but the point is I would eat the Goat Cheese Grits stand alone they are that fabulous...

So Grits. Yes, I have solved the Grits problem. The answer is Goat Cheese.

Next on my to-conquer-list: Sweet Tea.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

1 comments:

Linda said...

Marty cooks?