Monday, March 16, 2009

Bracketology Blue Devil Style

So I find myself in a serious, serious quandary: How to fill out my 2009 NCAA Tourney Bracket. As a Blue Devil, it's a HUGE psychological hurdle for me to fill out a bracket with anyone other than Duke winning it all (even though they haven't won a National Championship since 2001 and the odds of their winning every year are slim...).

Still, every year, no matter what their record, reputation and Tourney seed, I see the Blue Devils going all the way. I feel as though I am somehow betraying my alma mater to pick anyone else to win it all - no matter what the odds.

My dear friend SaeJ, who is not a Duke alum but who is a HUGE Duke fan, says it's OK to pick somebody else to win. Her argument is that if Duke wins, you get the psychological reward of their victory less the financial earnings. On the other hand, if they don't win, the chance of picking up some cash is still there. And really, those spectator heels at J. Crew are kind of cute...

So, I sit here right now and struggle, wondering how to fill out my 2009 Tourney Bracket. Will Duke go all the way? Even the pundits on ESPN didn't seem to think so - unless the Devils can shoot from 3-point range like they did against the 'Noles to win their 9th ACC Tournament Championship in 12 years. But can they do it for 6 more games? Against bigger teams? Maybe better teams? Are Rick Pitino's Cardinals unstoppable? What about this year's Cinderella? Who will it even be? Remember Gonzaga years and years ago? George Mason in 2006? Davidson nearly upsetting Kansas last year?

I don't know. And I don't know who will win this year's Tourney. But I sure as Hell hope it's Duke. If not, I hope it's the Cardinals because I REALLY want those shoes...

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: