Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Monster Truck Jam: The Backstory

Assuming you have read at least 2 or 3 of my blog posts, you know that I am big on details. And back story. In fact, there have been, on more than one occasion, actual sagas which have required several posts to get through in full detail. And so it is with Monster Truck Jam.

Yes - I am heading out Friday night for the ULTIMATE Country Girl experience - MONSTER TRUCK JAM. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect (I also have no idea what to wear but that's a different story). But I figured I'd start with how I came to get to this point. Because believe me - it's a point I never quite thought I would get to...

It all started out, as most things do, innocently enough on Facebook. A friend of mine had posted a picture of me from the Art Stroll. I didn't think it was a particularly flattering photo and so I sent her a little message saying as such. She offered to take it down and I told her don't be silly as I was just being a little vain. This then launched us into a whole exchange about how easy it is to look unflattered (does such a word exist?) in photos. Squinty eyes, multiple chins, blow-fish cheeks, disproportionate facial features - the list goes on. Anyways, she then referenced an unflattering photo a friend of hers had posted from an excursion to Dollywood which then led us into a brilliant exchange on....

the utter genius of Dolly Parton. I then proceeded to spill my guts on my love of NASCAR and country music. This led her to write: I feel a kind of desperate need to go to a monster truck rally with you. Is that weird?

My intial response was no - of course it was not weird. For some reason, things like visits to The Silver Bullet and monster truck rallies thrill me. I can't explain it.

But then - in something that can only be described as an absolute twist of fate - I was in the car that afternoon, listening to Kat Country (of course) and the announcement came on. Monster Truck Jam was coming to Charlotte - in 1 week. I mean - seriously, what are the odds?

And so, now we have tickets to go Friday night. And I am so, so excited. Obviously, a full report to come on Saturday.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

1 comments:

ilovedolly said...

God wants us to go to a monster truck jam. That's the only explanation for what's happened this week.