Sunday, January 25, 2009

Strolling Magic

So it feels as though the last few weeks have been all about the Art Stroll. I know I wrote about it about a month ago and so to refresh your memory:

The Art Stroll in Downtown Lincolnton featured the work of over 70 professional and local artists in 15 locations throughout beautiful, downtown Lincolnton on one special night. ASDL is a collaborative, grassroots effort comprised of professional and local artists, downtown business and property owners, select city and county agencies and a church. No single organization is in charge and everyone participating is responsible for the event's success.

And what a success!!! Thousands of people Strolled on Friday night. There was such a sense of community to be sure - but we also had Strollers in from Charlotte, the Lake Area, and Hickory to name a few. Lincolnton was showcased at its finest. And everyone was commenting. On how much fun it was. On how great the art was. On how friendly the people were.

We had Strollers of all shapes and sizes. Young couples. Old couples. People with small children. Teenagers. Solo Strollers. Well-heeled art gallery owners mingled with contractors and mill workers.

One of the most amazing things (and I am quoting my friend Karen because she worded it so beautifully): "It was just so incredibly rewarding to see how much fun everyone was having and how RELAXED people were. Relaxed and not worried about the economy or losing their jobs or how'd they pay their bills, etc. People were smiling and happy and calm and even spending their money. I saw folks carrying bags of wine, pieces of art under their arms, and "take out" boxes of restaurant food, and more. The atmosphere was void of stress, at least that was the sense I felt when I walked around." Well said Karen. Well said.

I am proud to have been part of such a wonderful and warm event. I am proud to have been a part of my community. I am proud that our combined, collaborative efforts created a magical night full of family, friends, fun, and of course, art.

And I even enjoyed my glass of Muscadine wine!

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

1 comments:

Alison said...

It was great! I look forward to more events like this for Lincolnton. We can have a little class in this little town yet! Thanks for the efforts!