Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mr. Dolce? Mr. Gabanna? Meet Mr. Johnson. Mr. Edwards. Mr. Busch. Etc.

It was Saturday, April 12th, 2008. It had been one of those days...one of those days that's sort of doom and gloom and miserable (couldn't tell you why) and I needed to feel FABULOUS. As Albin sings in La Cage Aux Folles:

When my little road has a few bumps again,
And I need something level to lean upon,
I put on my sling pumps again,
And wham! This ugly duckling is a swan!

So it was that sort of day. And it also happened to be the last night of the Lincolnton Rotary Auction which is a very big deal. And me being from New York and it being a Saturday night and me needing to feel glamourous and it being a fundraiser, I got dressed. Little black dress and Dolce & Gabbana leopard print stilettos - my most treasured shoes ever.

Went to the auction only to discover that most everyone was casual in jeans and sneakers. Spent about 15 minutes chatting with some friends and then Marty and I had dinner at the Outback in Hickory (again - slightly overdressed for the occasion) where the Subway Fresh Fit 500 was on TV and Jimmie Johnson was in the lead. Since I am a fan of the #48 car I had to watch. I did not stay until the end, but as it turns out, that was Jimmie's first victory of the year.

Now how many people can say that they were wearing Dolce & Gabanna stilletos the night they turned the proverbial NASCAR corner?

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: