Sunday, January 04, 2009

How I Came to Finally Get My Haircut in Lincolnton: Chapter 3

Aside from the Mark Garrison affair, the only time I found a new stylist was when I moved to Houston. I remember picking whatever salon was located in Saks at the Galleria. It was a chain headed up by some famous NY or LA stylist (of course I can’t think of the name right now…) and I remember being relatively disappointed by the overpriced haircut and being very relieved when I went home to NYC for a visit and Oscar fixed it. Still, I lived in Houston for almost 1.5 years and I don’t think I was visiting NYC all that often and so there were a handful of non-Oscar haircuts. Nothing that rocked my world. Nothing that destroyed it either. But I remember being thankful when we moved back to the Northeast.

When Marty and I moved to Lincolnton 2.5 years ago, I was in a little bit of a situation. I had scheduled a much needed haircut a few days before we left NYC, but Oscar cancelled last minute (he was accompanying Tom Cruise on the press junket for MI:3 which really pissed me off) and so I was left uncoiffed and feeling very shaggy.

I did succumb and see a stylist in Charlotte that June. Of course - I didn't let him do much - just trim some of the dead ends. He claimed he stayed within the guidelines of my existing haircut. I wasn't sure (and to tell you the truth, there wasn't much of a haircut at that point). But the whole experience of putting myself in a stranger's hands was very anxiety-provoking. Besides, it didn't really matter how he cut my hair because the haircut was sort of lost on me as the day I got it, I came home to the first of 2 dead goats and a basement full of water.

No worries though because back then, I was up in NYC almost every other month and so I was able to continue to see Oscar as needed (barring any cancellations). Still, the longer we stayed in NC, and the deeper my roots grew, the more I began to think about finding someone local. Not that I wouldn’t see Oscar whenever I was in NYC, but I decided that finding a local stylist was just a natural progression. Sort of like getting rid of my NYC cell phone. So earlier this year, I psyched myself up for beginning the arduous task of finding a local stylist. And then I went to NYC in February. And Oscar cut my hair. And it was AMAZING. I mean seriously – it was one of the top 2 or 3 great haircuts of my life. I got so many compliments and all of a sudden I was like: There’s a reason Oscar is Oscar and he is THAT good and NO ONE ANYWHERE – Charlotte, Lincolnton, London, - will EVER EVER be able to give me a haircut that is so INCREDIBLE. What had I been thinking?

To be continued…

0 comments: