Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In Honor of My Uncle Icky

My Uncle Icky passed away on Friday. Ninety years old, he had lead a rich and wonderful life and touched thousands of souls in the process. He was an amazing man - thoughtful, compassionate, positive in his outlook - an unstoppable force who brought joy and love to all who knew him.

I wrote about Uncle Icky last year on Veteran's Day and it's worth reading (or re-reading) the post to get to know a fraction of this incredible man.

I am also going to share some photos from his 90th birthday in May of this year. It was held at Belmont Stakes (to say that Icky liked to play the ponies is an understatement) and in my mind, that day was the greatest tribute we could have given him.


Me and My Uncle Icky


Uncle Icky and the Bugler (or is it Trumpeter?)


Uncle Icky in the Winner's Circle


Uncle Icky with His "Kids"


Uncle Icky - Everyone's Hero

This ain't country - this is a legend.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. May God Bless you and your family, and hold tight to those memories that you hold dearest to your heart.

rudecactus said...

I was sorry to hear about Uncle Icky from your dad last week. You have my sincere condolences.

Daryl Page said...

Sarah,
I am truly saddened. In the brief time I spent with Uncle Icky, I knew him as a loving man and a true American hero. My discussions with him were motivational to me and I often think of the sacrifices he gave to this nation so that we all could be free. I did have a big smile as I saw the day at the track, though as I know he really enjoyed that.
All my love,
Daryl