Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome Back Peanut!

It had to be over a month ago that Peanut suddenly stopped eating apple and oat treats. At first I thought it was a phase because every once and a while the goats get finicky about the treats - I don't know if they smell funny or taste bad - but at one time or another all of the goats have spit out a treat or two. But with Peanut, it got to be a chronic problem. Every night I'd go to give him a treat, and every night he'd spit it out. It didn't help that Elvis would butt at him but one night I even got him alone in a stall and he still wouldn't take it. So I simply stopped trying to give him treats.

I don't know why but for some reason tonight I thought I'd try again. I took a small piece of a treat and held out it for Peanut after I had fed everyone else. When Elvis came to interrupt, I held him back by the collar. Peanut took the treat, put it in his mouth, chewed and swallowed! I don't know why but I was ecstatic. I tried again with another little piece - he took it as well and didn't spit it out!

I don't know what he'll do tomorrow night, but all I can say I was happy to see my Peanut back.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: