Saturday, August 16, 2008

Apples on the Brain

It wasn't enough for me to bake 3 apple pies last weekend...I have serious apples on the brain. Why? Because the Lincoln County Apple Festival is coming up in 5 weeks and part of the Festival is a recipe contest.

There are 6 categories:

Main Dish (must contain meat or a meat substitute)
Cakes, Breads & Cookies
Pies, Pastries, & Tarts
Apple Jelly
Butter & Jams
Miscellaneous (includes beverages, appetizers and low-calorie)

Since I read about the contest on Thursday, my mind has been whirring with apple recipe ideas for at least 4 of the categories (jellies, jams & butters just aren't my thing). With last week's pies fresh on the brain - I had no trouble coming up with a recipe for the Pies, Pastries & Tarts category. Actually - it turned out to be a tart - but it's a variation on one of the pies I made last weekend and I was so excited to test the recipe I was up at 6:30am this morning and in the kitchen baking by 7:00am. It looks and smells delicious. I am holding off on posting photos or describing in detail until AFTER I submit the recipe and find out if it qualifies but let me just say - I might be an apple tart genius!

After I made the tart, I had some leftover apples and some other stuff and so I threw that in a pie crust and it's baking right now. Could be delicious too (smells mighty good) but I could in no way duplicate the recipe as I didn't take any measurements so I hope it's not that good...

As for the other categories, my mind is going 100 miles per hour. Would love to share all of my millions of ideas but I am a little protective of my apple intellectual capital and so I will hold off. All I can say is I hope that Marty likes apples because we are going to be in apple country for a while. Meanwhile, would love to hear about your favorite apple recipes.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...



As for the other categories, I will hold off

0 comments: