Saturday, August 09, 2008

An Abundance of Apples

So I have told you about our friend and neighbor Steve – he who brings me blackberries and peaches so I can bake pies. Well – the delivery of bounty continued all this week. It started when Steve showed up with probably close to 10 lbs. of tomatoes fresh from his garden a few days ago.





I happily took them because I can always put fresh tomatoes to work. My favorite thing to do is to make tomato smoosh – I chop up fresh tomatoes and toss them with lots of garlic and olive oil and then I season with salt and pepper and herbs and roast at 450° until they are nice and smooshed. Then I drain the oil/tomato water and use it to make a delicious salad dressing.

It’s a very good system for using up fresh tomatoes but even after making a big batch of tomato smoosh on Friday morning, I still had pounds and pounds of tomatoes to use up so I decided to make a tomato pie. Using Diane Mott Davidson’s recipe for tomato brie pie from The Main Corpse, I came up with the following:

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Place 2 ounces of cubed Emmentaler cheese in a Pillsbury Pet-Ritz deep dish pie crust.

Slice, quarter and drain 6 ripe tomatoes (I used 3 red, 3 yellow). Distribute over the Emmentaler. Season with salt, pepper and herbs (I am a fan of Penzy’s Fox Point seasoning). Sprinkle with ¾ cup shredded cheese. I used Sargento’s Bistro Blends which was a blend of 2 cheddar cheeses and bacon.

Beat together 3 eggs, 1/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup heavy cream and pour over the tomatoes/cheese in the pie crust. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. of grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 – 50 minute or until the center is set. Let cool for 10 minutes and then serve.


The result is both gorgeous and delicious:



After making tomato pie, I tackled the pounds and pounds of apples we picked this morning at Steve’s.



I baked 2 whole pies (i.e. peeling & chopping 18 cups of apples) and I still have an entire bowl of apples still to contend with.



\

I should also add that while I was at Steve’s, I got to take pictures of his peeps born just a few weeks ago and drive his lawn mower.





And if that ain’t country I’ll kiss your…

1 comments:

Linda said...

Ooooooo everythibng looks so yummy! I wish I knew how to cook and bake!!