So I have no idea what Mike Stoller & Jerry Leiber were thinking when they wrote the song Poison Ivy because seriously, poison ivy (or oak or sumac) is NOTHING to celebrate.
We have some serious poison something here and let me tell you what - it sucks!
I had poison ivy once before. I think I was 14 or 15. I was spending the summer at Longacre Farm in PA. I got poison ivy a week or so before I was due to come home and as it turned out, I was highly allergic. I also remember getting stung by a bee on the middle finger of my left hand around the same time and by the time I arrived home I was swollen and red and itchy and all in pretty miserable. I crawled into bed in a dark, air conditioned room, took a lot of Benadryl and didn't emerge for a week.
Unfortunately, I can't spend the next week in a Benadryl-induced haze which sucks because I might scratch myself to death.
To be fair, Marty has it worse than I do. He's had it in various patched on his arms for the last few weeks. Mine emerged on Tuesday night along the back of my right shoulder and behind my neck. What I don't get is where it came from. I am thinking it came from when I let Lucky nuzzle my neck a few days ago since I think the goats like to eat it. The oil was probably on her nose and she probably rubbed it on me.
So far it hasn't spread but every time I get an itch, I panic.
I even resorted to a tried and true Southern method for curing poison ivy - I put Clorox on it! Seriously.
And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...
2 days ago