Saturday, June 14, 2008

It Doesn't Get Any More Country Than This

Dump runs. Broken down trucks. Bojangles. Nail guns. Poison Ivy. Donkey stalls that require mucking. Escaping goats. It doesn't get any more country than this kids. Seriously - I am in the throes of a full on Country Girl Saturday.

My day started with a dump run. I don't know how but Marty & I generate serious amounts of trash and since we live outside the city limits, we are responsible for getting our trash to the dump. Saturdays are a bad day to go to the dump because EVERYONE goes to the dump on Saturdays, but I had no choice. When it's this hot, you don't want bags of trash sitting around.

Of course, when I started the truck, I noticed that the battery light was on. I asked Marty about it and he said that it was no big deal and I should be able to run to the dump and back no problem. Well - he was half right. I made it to the dump, but when I turned out to come home, the truck died. It needed to be jumped THREE times in order to get home.

Meanwhile, my in-laws are here and my father in-law Boyce, Marty & Steve have been hard at work the last few days building a new deck on the back of the house. Today was the day they laid the decking and I was told that I had to nail at least one row of nails. Just me and a trusty nail gun. Actually - it was no big deal and there were pretty purple lines that had been drawn showing me exactly where to nail. Or so I thought. Turns out, the line I was on was not in line with the underlying stud so my entire row of nails - useless. Come visit and stick your head under the deck one day and I'll show you.

Besides all that, Buster & Peanut have been escaping almost every day for the last week. Not sure how and since the guys have been out back working they have stayed in the pasture. Still - goats escaping daily is a problem we need to figure out.

To top it all off, we have a poison ivy problem which has manifested itself all over Marty's arms (plus a small patch on my left arm) and given the extreme heat, I am mucking Dixie's stall once - sometimes twice - a day to keep the flies around the barn to a minimum. I try to remind myself that I am indeed a Country Girl and that this all goes with the territory but sometime it's tough.

Oh yeah. And I had a Bojangles chicken biscuit for lunch today.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: