Thursday, May 15, 2008

Billy Goats Prefer Blondes

I need a haircut. Desperately. Tomorrow marks 13 weeks since I last got my hair cut and it's definitely starting to look a little ragged around the edges. Unfortunately for me, with the exception of a quick 24-hour trip next weekend (during which time Oscar is out of town), I have no plans to be in New York City until October. Which means I have to accept the fact that I live in North Carolina and that perhaps I ought to find someone down here who can cut my hair.

The problem is, that last time I saw Oscar, he gave me such a good cut, I am pretty sure no one down here - or anywhere for that matter - will come even close.

It's flawed logic. I know. I am basically choosing between what I assume will be a mediocre to average cut or not getting any cut and just letting my hair grow longer and longer and letting it lose all shape and style. The funny thing is, this is not an easy choice for me. And of course - who's to say a haircut down here will even be average or mediocre. It may be great. I see people all the time who don't live in NYC, who don't get their hair cut by Oscar and who still manage to have great looking hair. I think my biggest issue is that Oscar has now been cutting my hair for over 15 years and just knows me, knows what to do, knows what will work. Plus as I just wrote, my last cut was soooooo good, that I don't know if anyone anywhere will even come close.

Meanwhile, Nugget - who when she was born was such a dark shade of brown that we originally thought she was black - is turning blonde! It's like she's getting highlights for the summer or something.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

2 comments:

Linda said...

S....I am sure that if you go go searching, at least just this time around, you will find a stylist that will work for you. I am sure that any big city near Lincolnton has some great salons. All big cities do. Just shop around and be very selective. Talk to them. Get their opinions. I finally found a stylist that I am very happy with, and she does some phenomenal highlights!! Good Luck!

Alison said...

Personally, I was using a gal over at David's Salon in Davidson while by the Lake. I'd advise her if you use Redken by chance. There's a salon that caught my eye over in Belmont though not long back, but I have no clue about them. And, currently, I'm still testing out a girl at Rusty's in L'town. The set up there is lacking, but the prices are wonderful. Let me know if you want to try a local...(I took a big deep breath before doing so myself!) They won't butcher your hair - that is for sure - and it could hold you over in the meantime.