Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April 1st - Kind of a Big Day

So April Fool's tomfoolery aside, April 1st - particularly this year - is kind of a big day and kind of cause to celebrate. For one thing, 12 years ago today, I quit smoking. Eight years ago today, Sebastian was born. 8 weeks and 1 day ago, Lucky, Peanut & Buster were born. Seven weeks ago, Surprise Steve surprised us all with his appearance.

As far as 2008 goes, I don't think that I thought that I could get from February 6th to today. But we did. Certainly we had some hiccups along the way but heading into the second quarter things seem to be heading towards an even keel.

We let Ann-Margaret and the boys out on Friday and Peanut seems to be fine. He's using his leg, running, jumping, grazing, playing - everything a 2-month old goat should be doing. Now all we have to do is get him neutered. And of course, now that they're out, everyone is back to sleeping around the picnic table.

Lucky spends most of her days out in the pasture - even when it's raining. She's also old enough where we can start to think about weaning her. I feel a little bad because she's still a kid and she still likes being with her mom (me) and when she's out in the pasture - she doesn't get that while the other kids have their moms. But she's also getting a little big and rowdy to be in the house for too long. Plus, there are some bathroom issues. I will spare you the details but needless to say, I think that Lucky is not so much house-broken as she is exceptionally well monitored. In general, I know when she needs to go out, how long to wait after feedings, etc. but every once in a while - as was the case last night - she surprises us all and let's just say it's not fun.

So while the rest of you get in touch with your inner Ashton Kutcher, I am going to celebrate everything else that is so wonderful about this day.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: