Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Strange and Funny Ways of Animals

We are on Day 9 of Ann-Margaret and the boys being kept up in a stall. I honestly didn't think we'd make it through Day 1 so I feel happy to not only to have made it this far, but to see the end in sight.

What's been most interesting to me has been how the other animals have responded to the situation. Normally, Dixie sleeps in a stall in the barn and the goats sleep on or under the picnic table which is not in the barn but is covered by an overhang. It doesn't matter how cold or wet or rainy - they will not sleep in the barn and they certainly won't sleep in a stall. Well last Tuesday night, with Ann-Margaret and her boys up in one stall and Nugget and Surprise Steve up in another, I left Dixie out so Elvis would have some company. Guess where they slept? In the one empty stall which I had left open.

In the subsequent evenings, I have gone back to putting Dixie up for the night in her temporary stall and Elvis, Nugget & Surprise Steve have all continued to sleep in the barn. I think in a stall - but at the very least in the open area.

It hasn't even been that cold (with the exception of the last 2 nights) - I think is some sort of weird loyalty to Ann-Margaret or something.

Meanwhile, I've also noticed changes in their grazing patterns. Before all this happened, the whole herd (including my little Lucky) would spend most of the day grazing - from one end of the pasture to the other. This last week - which has been mostly sunny and warm - they have hung close to the barn, rarely venturing down the far end of the pasture.

I just think it's interesting. That's all.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: