Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Some BBQ and Clogging to Take Your Mind Off The Goats

I will tell you right now - I am obsessed with clogging. Of course, I didn't even know what clogging was until Saturday night. I mean I thought it was people who wore clogs and danced polka-esque or a la German or something but no - clogging is kind of like tapping, only clackitier. It's awesome!

Ok - actually, a quick check of Wikipedia informs me that clogging is simply a type of folk dancing that varies region to region. In the U.S., it's roots are in the Appalachian region and the Ozarks, it's typically done to bluegrass and that COMPETITIVE clogging is done with taps. So it is like tapping. Only I still say it's clackitier.

Anyways, to back track just a moment - Saturday night found us in the small town of Dudley Shoals, NC at Sim's Country BBQ. Sim's is something of a marvel to me as they are open Friday and Saturday nights from 5pm - 9pm. Eight hours a week. And I thought the people at Fox's Fish Camp had it easy!

Located at the end of a windy, dirt road and next to a beautiful pond (apparently full of catfish), the building itself is not much to look at. In fact, when we were there Saturday, all I really noticed was the plastic sheeting draping the outside. I don't know if that's winter insulation or weatherproofing or what. Additionally, from the front, the building doesn't look all that big but inside it's huge so it must be the angle at which you see it from the outside that is so deceptive.

There is not a whole lot to Sims. For $10.75 per person ($4.25 for kids), it's an all you can eat buffet including slaw, pickles, cornbread fritters, bread, beans, chips, and BBQ. The 'cue includes chicken, beef and pork. Everything is disposable - Styrofoam plates and cups, plastic utensils, individual packets of salt & pepper. It kind of reminded me of a church supper for some reason. Drinks and dessert are extra - although this being a family place there is no alcohol. I will say this - the food is very, very good. I'd estimate there were at least 200 folks in there including several groups (a church, a sweet 16) and the line for the buffet was long at times (we arrived at 5:30 and went right through however our attempts at seconds 20 minutes later took a good 20 minutes).

At 7 the Bluegrass kicks up and the cloggers get at it. You see - Sims also has a clogging school and so kids and accomplished adults alike take to the dance floor and show their stuff (as do a number of small children under the age of 5 who generally twirl and spin and look incredibly adorable).

I don't know if I am doing a truly good job in describing this, and I don't want to blather on like I did when I wrote about the Woodshed, but I will say this about Sims:

It's totally country
It's totally fun
And when you come to visit, make sure you ask to include it as a stop in the J. Peterman Reality Tour.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

1 comments:

Uncle H said...

Blogging. Slogging. And now, Clogging. What's next, Flogging?