Saturday, December 08, 2007

Barn Improvements

Please keep all nasty cracks and comments to yourself. I am back. Sorry for disappearing. But, if anyone out there feels even the remotest sniffle coming on - get thee to bed now. Drinks lots of fluids. Take plenty of Vitamin C. And REST. Please REST. Whatever is going around is brutal and I, unfortunately, did not take the proper time to REST and so this nasty cold has been lingering for some time now and while I am functioning, I still sound like I have consumption and in general, it means at the end of my very busy days (and believe me, my days have been busy), all I want to do is flop on the couch and not think about anything, including you, my dear, dear loyal readers (Can I even say readers at this point? Do I have more than 1 left after being the world's worst blogger??). So once again apologies and thank you for your patience.

Now, onto the post...

So the activity around here has been all about fixing up the barn for the arrival of our donkey. Yes - back in August I mentioned we were getting a miniature donkey and now it's been nearly 4 months and I am sure you are all scratching your heads wondering what's taking so darn long.

Well, part of it is she needs to be weaned. When we saw her over the summer she was a newborn, 2 or 3 weeks old. I thought she would be weaned within 2 or 3 months but I guess 4 or 5 months is not so strange. Also, we needed to have her bridle trained so that added on a little more time.

On our end though, we needed to provide her with a home. Marty was adamant that we would not let her run willy nilly like the goats and that she would have structure. So we went to work at fixing up our barn which was completely functional but just a little old and frayed at the edges. We poured some concrete which is much easier to clean and maintain. We turned the outer bay where they used to park the tractor into a stall for our donkey (so we can put her up at night) by adding a door. We also cut a half door from the new stall looking into the interior of the barn. We cleaned out and planked the hay loft so that it can actually store hay. All that's left is to run power so that we can have light (and maybe a heater in the winter if it's cold or a fan in the summer if it's hot because no - our pets aren't spoiled or anything) and run water and make a quick trip to the farm supply store to pick up a new trough for the donkey.

As an added bonus, we're getting the goat feeding situation under control because we're either going to buy some more troughs or build a proper one that all 3 of them can eat out of simultaneously. Actually it may be more than 3, Ann-Margaret is looking wider than she is tall and we once again, think that she is pregnant.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was diggin' the barn... it looks great. Thanks for a wonderful weekend.