Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

So don't ask but I was up at 4:18 this morning (ok if you must ask my legs were sandwiched in about a 2-inch gap between Tony & Sebastian and me being the loving pet parent that I am, I refuse to kick either cat off the bed) and I got to thinking about the fact that it was 4:18am and that as I lay in bed tossing and turning and cursing my cats and trying my hardest to fall asleep again that there were people out there, right then, at the very second, Christmas shopping. And I got to thinking about doorbusters and sales and specials and the fact that Kohls was opening at 4am and maybe JC Penney and how some stores even started at midnight, hardly giving folks the time to recover from their tryptophane and stuffing induced food comas. And then I got to thinking about Wal-Mart - specifically our Wal-Mart in Linolnton and how I was fairly certan it would be open at 5am because I think Wal-Marts everywhere are opening at 5am and how I had to go to Wal-Mart anyways because there was a sweater there that I really wanted (actually I got the sweater in black the other day and loved it so much I wanted to get it in at least one other color - possibly red for the holidays or heather gray because it's so versatile) and how it would be kind of cool to go at 5am just to see what the whole crazy first-thing-in-the-morning-Black-Friday experience was all about even though I don't need a computer or a flat screen or a slow cooker or a pre-lit Christmas tree or any of the other thousands of items that are drastically reduced and hence the whole reason why people are up and out shopping at such ungodly hours (then again, having the love for shopping that I do, there is no such thing as an ungodly hour to shop and perhaps, just perhaps, this world would be a better place if one could shop (and I don't mean online - I mean actually shop) at all hours of the night). And then I remembered that I hate driving in the dark and so instead of heading out at 5am to truly experience Black Friday I came downstairs and watched last night's Grey's Anatomy on TiVo and waited until dawn was breaking at 6:45am to head to Wal-Mart and buy my sweaters (in heather gray and rose bud).

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: