Thursday, October 25, 2007

Old McDonald Had A Farm

Ok - so I don't think I've told you all my fantasy to chuck it all and be a farmer. I mean I've got 8 acres, the right zoning and if some guy named Manny can do it in 800 square feet in a Brooklyn backyard, so can I. Right?

I mean, I have seriously elaborate fantasies involving vegetable gardens, goat cheese and grape vines.

Anyways, I am not there yet, but I did spend last Saturday picking tomatoes. Actually, I was gleaning for the Society of St. Andrew.

Society for St. Andrew is a Christian ministry dedicated to gleaning America's fields and feeding America's hungry. The actual definition of gleaning means to gather (grain or the like) after the reapers or regular gatherers. Essentially SFSA gets farmers to plant crops or donate extra crops which volunteers then glean and send off to homeless shelters, soup kitchens and the like.

So I spent Saturday at a farm in China Grove picking tomatoes to be sent to a soup kitchen in Morganton. I'll tell you this - it was hard work. I only picked for ~ 2 hours but I was exhausted and sore and dirty! My hands were black with caked on dirt and mud. But it was also so satisfying on so many levels. And I love the idea of being self-sustaining.

Sorry...trying to post and watch Grey's Anatomy simultaneously and it's a bad idea so I am going to wrap it up...

So um yeah...famring...gleaning tomatoes...it's all good.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: