Saturday, October 06, 2007

Highlights from a Day in Kat Kountry

I am obsessed with the new Garth Brooks single, More Than a Memory, and since it's not available for purchase until November 6th and not available for download EVER (don't get me started on that), my only hope of hearing it is on the radio. As such, I've been listening to a little less NPR and a little more 96.9 Kat Kountry.

However, it seems like every time I flip on the radio I hear one of the following: any one of a number of songs by Rascall Flatts - who I can't stand and it's doubly worse because they just released a new album and so they are getting lots of radio play; Kenny Chesney's 2 current singles - Don't Blink (don't bother) and Never Wanted Nothing More - a song which I enjoyed ever so slightly the first time I heard it but have since grown tired of; and Proud of the House We Built, the new single by Brooks and Dunn (also out with a new album).

All of this, and no Garth. So, I decided to do a little research and see what exactly went on during the course of a day in Kat Kountry. Maybe I just had really bad timing - maybe it wasn't always Rascall Flats every hour, on the hour. So, on October 4th, between 8:47am and 5:46pm, I kept an eye on 96.9's last 10 songs played and here's what I can tell you:

* More Than a Memory was played twice: once at 10:29am and again at 5:27pm

* There was only 1 Rascall-Flatts-free-hour, between 11am and 12pm (also possibly the 5pm hour but I didn't quite make it all the way through).

* Brooks and Dunn were played 13 times, 11 of which happened between 10am and 3pm. As it turned out, Ronnie and Kix were guest-DJ'ing for those 5 hours which explains the skew.

* Both Kenny Chesney songs made 2 appearances in the 9 hour period I tracked as did 3 other songs.

* There was rarely an hour without Tim McGraw - Faith's husband was played 8 times.

* Also popular were Brad Paisley who was played 6 times (although thankfully Ticks and Online were only played once each), Montgomery Gentry (4 plays) and Rodney Atkins (3 plays).

* The American Idols weren't so popular: Kellie Pickler and Bucky Covington (who I also feel like I always hear when I turn on the radio)only had 1 song a piece, while Carrie Underwood had 2 (although she didn't make her first appearance until 3:25pm).

* Luke Bryan's All My Friends Say was played 3 times which is fine by me because I actually like the song. I am less a fan of Dierks Bentley's Free and Easy which was played twice.

To see the complete list, click here. And I guess until November 6th, I'll just have to hope for a little less Rascall Flatts and a little more Garth.

And if that ain't county, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: