Thursday, September 06, 2007

And the Winner Is…

I love awards shows although that doesn’t mean I am particularly knowledgeable in whatever it is that is being honored. For example, for last year’s Oscars I had seen none of the Best Picture nominees, not to mention any of the actor-nominated performances with the exception of Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. To this day, the only movie that’s moved off that list is The Departed, which came to cable about a week ago. The Emmys, coming up in 11 days? Of the 10 Best Shows nominated (5 comedies, 5 dramas), I watch one on a regular basis: Grey’s Anatomy. I’ve seen none of the other 9. Acting awards? I can’t tell you anything about the lead actors, although I can comment on 3 of the nominated lead actresses: Felicity Huffman (Desperate Housewives), Sally Field (Brothers and Sisters) and Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU). Oh – and I can tell you everything you want to know about American Idol.

So I suppose I was a bit surprised – possibly more than a bit truth be told – when the nominees for the 41st Country Music Association Awards came out and I knew/had listened to/felt invested in just about every category.

Entertainer of the Year? Give it to George Strait– if only because I can’t stand Rascal Flatts, I think Brad Paisley has gone of the deep end (Have you heard Online? Who’s writing for this guy anyways), Kenny Chesney is so much less interesting now that he’s divorced from Renee Zellweger, and while Keith Urban does have some delicious arm candy in the form of Nicole Kidman, he’s still never going to be the King of Country Music. He’s Australian for Pete’s sake!

Female Vocalist of the Year? Hands down Carrie Underwood. Partly so that the good folks at American Idol can feel like they are actually churning out some decent performers and partly because I am not that familiar with any of the other nominees.

Male Vocalist of the Year? See comments on Entertainer of the Year only replace Rascal Flatts with Josh Turner and watch me scratch my head and go, Josh who?

Horizon Award is tough. I have a soft spot for Taylor Swift, but I also like Rodney Atkins – if only because he managed to work an entire Happy Meal into a song. I’ll tell you who I am not pulling for – Kellie Pickler. We’ve got to keep the folks at American Idol (and the general viewing public in general) focused on finding talent.

Vocal Group of the Year has to be Emerson Drive. No arguments (even though I do like Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks). If Rascal Flatts wins, I think the Earth may spin of its axis.

Vocal Duo of the Year? I am hoping Montgomery Gentry or Sugarland. I mean, haven’t Big & Rich and Brooks & Dunn won enough?

The fact that Ticks is even nominated for Single of the Year makes me question sanity levels in Nashville (in fact, the fact that the song was even written makes me think they need to dump some Lexipro into the Nashville water supply pronto). So I vote for Before He Cheats, the best song to shout out loud at the top of your lungs while you’re driving and no one can hear you or Wrapped, if only because it’s George Strait. I also give BHC Song of the Year award. I mean – have you seen the other nominees?

Album of the Year also goes to George. How can it not?

I find Musical Event of the Year an interesting category title. I’d hardly call Reba McEntire’s remake of Kelly Clarkson’s Because of You featuring Kelly Clarkson an event. Still, forced to choose at gun point I’d have to give the nod to Tracy Lawrence’s Find Out Who Your Friends Are over Jimmy Buffet with George and Alan simply because I never understood Hey Good Lookin’ as a song.

I haven’t seen any of the videos up for Musical Video of the Year but I am pulling for Moments by Emerson Drive because a homeless man stopping a down-on-his luck dude from committing suicide feels so much more meaningful than a jilted blonde smashing up a Chevy or Brad Paisley getting down and dirty in cyber space.

The only category where I am really at a loss is musician of the year. But I am giving my vote to Randy Scruggs on guitar because I like his name.

Tune in November 7th to see how I did.

And if that ain’t country, I’ll kiss your…

0 comments: