Thursday, February 22, 2007

Like Old Times

I got home tonight at 6:00. Although the sun had set, it was still light out.

I poured myself a glass of wine, and went to the pasture where I treated Elvis and Ann-Margaret to some cookies and put fresh hay in the trough.

Of course, it's not easy to replenish hay one-handed while still in a shift dress, ballet flats and triple strand pearls. As I pushed the barn door open, my foot slid into a pile of damp earth. Then Ann-Margaret followed me into the stall where we store the hay and refused to leave no matter how much I coaxed. Elvis nearly got me when he reared up as I spread hay in the trough. All the while, Tony sat crouched by a tree and watched.

It was divine moment though - one I haven't had since some time between summer's end and the on-set of dayliights savings time (or the end of DST - I can never remember which is which). Anyways, I just love these post-work jaunts into the pasture with the goats.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: