Tuesday, August 22, 2006

18-Wheelers and White Lightning

I've had 2 recent true country girl experiences that I feel compelled to share.

The first was driving an 18-wheeler. Some of you may remember my flirtation with trucking last summer. If you got into a car with me on a highway and we passed a truck (a very likely scenario), I could wax prophetic about everything from the high price of diesel to the driver shortage to the '07 compliant engines to the impact of on-board recorders to the ultimate truck stop. Well, last weekend, I finally fulfilled a long time fantasy and got behind the wheel of my very own Freightliner (courtesy of our neighbor Carl who drives one for a living).

And I confess, even though it was automatic it was hard to drive. Though you only really have 1 peddle (and maybe a knob or 2), the truck runs smoothly the more smoothly you apply pressure to the gas peddle. I was hesitant, and the truck jumped around the parking lot in fits and starts. It nearly made me ill.

Still, Carl was a bud for letting me give it a whirl and he's already asked me if I'd like to try again. We'll just call him Carl The Iron Stomach from here on out for his tolerance for my driving.

As for the white lightning, I can't say where I got it or who it came from. All I can say is that it was sweet like strawberries (the strawberries floating in the mason jar were nearly white in color, as if the sheer alcohol content had stripped them of their natural color) and it tasted so good it made my tongue roll out of my mouth and slap my brain.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: