Friday, July 28, 2006

An Ode to Pimento Cheese

Pimento cheese was until recently, something I avoided at all costs - mainly because the pimento cheese I saw in the supermarket was actually labeled pimento spread, was a frighteningly flourescent shade of orange and was packed into suspiciously large tubs.

I didn't know what was in pimento cheese. I didn't really care. It seemed like yet one more Southern bastardization of cheese (see also Port Wine cheese balls).

But there's a little lunch spot by my office called Something Classic Cafe and spicy pimento cheese is one of their specialties so one day I gave it a whirl.

It turns out, that spicy pimento cheese is not much more than grated cheddar (the cheese), roasted peppers (the pimentos), cayenne (the spicy) and mayonnaise (what holds it all together). And it turns out, it's actually quite tasty. Whether spread on crackers or served on a salad, Something Classic's spicy pimento cheese has actually become something that I enjoy...and even crave every once and awhile.

I still won't go near the tubs of pimento spread at the grocery store (let alone those port wine cheese balls) but Something Classic's spicy pimento cheese - that I can handle.

And if that ain't country, I'll kiss your...

0 comments: